ASMBS: Gastric Banding Gets Low Marks-From Main Forum

MARIA F.
on 6/27/10 9:43 am - Athens, GA

Post from MeltingMama on the Main Forum:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/4197311/ASMBS-Gastric -Banding-Gets-Low-Marks/

Post Date: 6/27/10 1:28 pm

Medical News Today - ASMBS:  Gastric Banding Gets Low Marks

ASMBS: Gastric Banding Gets Low Marks
LAS VEGAS -- Adjustable gastric banding achieves only modest weight loss, and even that benefit deteriorates over time in most patients, a Dutch surgeon said here.

FormerlyFluffy.com

LillieGracesMom
on 6/27/10 12:12 pm
I gotta say, I love my band.  I was banded on 3/4/10 and have lost well over 70 pounds now.  (I haven't weighed in a few weeks and will weigh again at my doc's appt. this Friday.)  If you follow your doctor's and nutritionist's rules, then you will be a success.  If you choose to eat more than you're supposed to, then you will fail.  Just because you CAN eat more than recommended, doesn't mean you SHOULD.  You MUST follow the guildelines that we all get prior to surgery.  This goes for any and all weight loss surgery.  You can choose success, or you can be like an aquaintaince of mine who had that band procedure before me and has lost no weight.  She said that she didn't want to get a fill before her vacation to Hawaii because she wanted to be able to eat what she wanted.  Well, she will not be successful, because she has chosen not to follow her doc's guidelines.  That's her choice.  I choose to follow the rules.  I figure, if I'm going to go to the trouble of having the surgery, then I am going to do what is necessary to be successful.  Is it easy?  Hell, no!  I have to choose everyday to make wise food choices.  The band is a tool, not a magic cure-all.  Guess what, RNY is also NOT a magic cure, either.  You still have to work at using your tool effectively.  I know 5 people who have had RNY.  All of them, except one,  lost SOME weight and quickly gained it all back.  They made a choice not to follow the rules, and they were unsuccessful.  Whichever tool you choose, you must be willing to make the necessary life changes in order to be successful.
Best of luck on your journeys,
Heather

MARIA F.
on 6/27/10 12:31 pm - Athens, GA
On June 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM Pacific Time, LillieGracesMom wrote:
I gotta say, I love my band.  I was banded on 3/4/10 and have lost well over 70 pounds now.  (I haven't weighed in a few weeks and will weigh again at my doc's appt. this Friday.)  If you follow your doctor's and nutritionist's rules, then you will be a success.  If you choose to eat more than you're supposed to, then you will fail.  Just because you CAN eat more than recommended, doesn't mean you SHOULD.  You MUST follow the guildelines that we all get prior to surgery.  This goes for any and all weight loss surgery.  You can choose success, or you can be like an aquaintaince of mine who had that band procedure before me and has lost no weight.  She said that she didn't want to get a fill before her vacation to Hawaii because she wanted to be able to eat what she wanted.  Well, she will not be successful, because she has chosen not to follow her doc's guidelines.  That's her choice.  I choose to follow the rules.  I figure, if I'm going to go to the trouble of having the surgery, then I am going to do what is necessary to be successful.  Is it easy?  Hell, no!  I have to choose everyday to make wise food choices.  The band is a tool, not a magic cure-all.  Guess what, RNY is also NOT a magic cure, either.  You still have to work at using your tool effectively.  I know 5 people who have had RNY.  All of them, except one,  lost SOME weight and quickly gained it all back.  They made a choice not to follow the rules, and they were unsuccessful.  Whichever tool you choose, you must be willing to make the necessary life changes in order to be successful.
Best of luck on your journeys,
Heather
"If you follow your doctor's and nutritionist's rules, then you will be a success."

That is so NOT true. Yes............u do have to comply to be successsfull but being compliant does NOT guarantee success with the band!!! There are way too many banders with slips/leaks/errosion/esophageal problems! Not to mention the ones that never reach a good restriction. Some are either too loose or too tight. No inbetween!!!

Heather don't get me wrong. I am thrilled that u have been so successfull so far with your band! I wish u only the best with it!!! I just re-posted it mainly for the pre-ops and for the bandster that are not successfull.

FormerlyFluffy.com

CandaceHasCurves
on 6/28/10 11:50 am - Alexandria, VA
I think what needs to be noted, however, is that even this "modest weight loss" is more than diet and exercise have been shown to do. The band is still more successful, with better long-term results, than just trying exercise and diet.

Additionally, the study doesn't look at compliance--how many of those who saw "poor" long-term results were following the rules? THAT would be an interesting, and helpful, bit of information.
CandaceHasCurves
on 6/28/10 11:51 am - Alexandria, VA
 Oh, and Heather, I'm so impressed with your weight loss success! And jealous! Although I did FINALLY start dropping some in the last month--5lbs--after 5.5 weeks of nothin! ha!

MaMa_M
on 6/29/10 3:18 am - MI

Nothing is a guarantee. You are right some who do follow the rules will fail. But, let's face it, any loss is better than where we started. My husband and I had Realize Band surgery on Sept 15 and have lost 68 lbs so far, he has lost 80 lbs. He has begun to eat/drinks things he shouldn't, and has begun to regain already.  This is a TOOL not a cure all. My issue was not so much "what" I was eating but "how much" so the band is a perfect tool for me. Don't get me wrong, I still sometimes crave those things that I shouldn't eat...and I eat a small amount and move on. This is a way of life and in order to succeed (no matter what surgery you have) you must work with the tool to be successful. I would like to see us all succeed but the truth is that we won't ALL be fully successful. Success is what you make of it. For me, if I stopped losing today I wouldn't be "happy" but I am so much more healthy today than I was 10 month ago...to me that is a wonderful thing! I have learned to be greatful no matter how small the success.

MaMa M

Tom C.
on 6/30/10 1:09 am - Mount Arlington, NJ

Ok when I read reports like this, my first question is “What is this reporter’s and/or researcher’s agenda"? As a famous man once said “Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything. 14% of people know that" That famous man was Homer Simpson. D’OH !!

Being from a media background, my first question is .. I would like to know where these folks got all their data? Is the researcher an independent, or being paided my an organization which has an adgenda (such as a company who don't like band devices)? Then I would like to know the “history" of the individuals who failed. And try to find out why they failed. Was it device or personal? Did they continue following the rules, did they continue to follow-up with their Doctors, did they continue to take their vitamins/supplements, etc? Studies do show that if a person DOES NOT adhere to what they are suppose to do, they WILL FAIL!!

Remember bariatric surgery is a PARTNERSHIP between the individual and the TOOL (be it device or physical alterations). The device alone WILL NOT ENSURE SUCCESS

With that said, prior to having the operation I did a LOT of research, and to be honest if the band’s success rate was poor I would have never gone through it. And if it was truly poor, why would Doctors continue to do it?

The prolong success rate for diet ALONE over five years is 10%. Bariatric surgery success is between 55% and 80% (depending on which operation one has). Band is the lowest, but bypass and Duodenal switches aren’t too far ahead (around 60%)

See:
http://www.bariatric.us/bariatric-surgery-results.html

The NIH cited clinical studies that show, following weight loss surgery, most patients lose weight rapidly and continue to do so for 18 to 24 months. Patients may lose up to 50 percent of their excess weight in the first six months and 77 percent of excess weight within one year of surgery. Patients were also able to maintain 50 to 60 percent of their weight loss 10 to 14 years after surgery

http://www.ynhh.org/healthlink/womens/womens_12_02.html

OK I am off my soapbox !!

Good Luck on your Journey !!

Tom

“Nothing I will ever eat will give me the feeling I get as when I lose weight”  The views expressed are based on my own experiences - and should NOT BE FOLLOWED IN LIEU OF DOCTOR’S ADVICE/INSTRUCTIONS. Only your Doctor knows your condition, and make sure you talk to them before making any changes to your diet
Most Active